Monday, May 13, 2013

It's Not a Mug, It's a Memory

 This morning I'm sitting on my porch sipping coffee, smelling the fresh air, and watering bald spots in my yard.  My mind and heart are full of nostalgia.

My Dad's birthday is Thursday.  He's been on my mind a lot.  When I was really young he had a favorite mug.  It was avocado green on the outside and white on the inside, simple, old.  I remember getting up in the mornings on occasion before he headed off to work and he would be in his work clothes, windows open, sitting, sipping on a cup of coffee.  The mix of spring/summer air and coffee brewing takes me there so quickly.
I'm not sure he'd even remember the mug, but I do.  It was there and then it was gone.  Broken, discarded, but I remember it.  It took a while, months, to find one.  I was thrilled when I finally came across what I now know is green milk glass made by Fire King. 
It will sit on a shelf, safe from tiny hands. But once in a while, on mornings like today, I will pull it out and have a cup of coffee with my dad.

No comments: