Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What A Pain...

I debated whether or not to blog about my most recent...issue.  The doctor said, "I wouldn't tell too many people you have this because most people aren't very educated about it and don't understand it."  Taking her advice I decided to wait until I was all healed before blogging it :)

I wanted to blog it sooner because I was in pain and I needed sympathy.  I'm a bit of a whiner if you haven't noticed (I'm working on that, He's not finished with me yet!)  And I figured if people aren't very educated about it, I can help!

About a 2 weeks ago I started having pain in my right hip.  This is reminiscent of my pregnancies.  I had sacroiliitis with each pregnancy and after Anneliese it hung around.  While it was uncomfortable, I just went on with life thinking it would subside eventually. 

Within a week a sore began to develop directly over my painful joint.  I asked a few people what they thought it might be.  No one really knew and as each day passed it became more and more painful.  The following Sunday night I could hardly sleep.

I made an appointment Monday morning and while my sweet mother sat in the car with all 5 kids and ate lunch, I found out my painful bump is shingles.

This is the best definition I found online at Badspiderbites.com

"What is shingles?
About 2 out of every 10 people experience severe pain that may last even after the rash clears up and is referred to as post-herpetic neuralgia.
Shingles is caused by the Varicella Zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. Only someone who has had a case of chickenpox or gotten chickenpox vaccine, can get shingles. The virus stays in your body. It can reappear many years later to cause a case of shingles.
You can’t catch shingles from other people that have shingles. However, in rare cases, an individual who has never had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine, may contract it from someone who has shingles.
Shingles is far more common in people 50 and older than in younger people. It is also more common in people whose immune systems are weakened because of a disease such as cancer, or drugs such as steroids or chemotherapy. At least 1 million people a year in the United States get shingles."

The doctor explained while it's rare for someone my age to get them, it's obviously completely possible.  She also said that while they can't say for sure what causes the flare ups, it's likely a reaction to stress.

I received a normal sized bottle of an anti-viral to prevent more sores and a bucket of pain medicine.  When I filled the scripts the pharmacist gave me that, "oh, honey" look.

For the most part I just had an, "icky I don't feel so hot," feeling and a bit of an upset belly.  The pain from the shingle is by far the worst part.  I had difficulty sleeping because it was hurting so bad.

Thankfully I'm recovered and finished my anti-viral.

Now I need to start doing Yoga and spending more time dwelling on God's promises in order to manage my stress.  Internalizing has become a painful hobby of mine, between the shingles and peptic ulcers it's time for something new!

1 comment:

Beth Eaton said...

Shannon, I am so sorry you are going through this. I have never had shingles but I have heard that they are very painful. I will be praying for your pain to subside and for you to have a better outlet for your everyday stresses. We all have them, just give them over to God more often then it sounds like you do!