Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Count



When I worked as a Weight Watchers leader I had a couple members who would come in with this weird band on their arm.  I asked them what it was and they looked at me like I had a third eyeball.

One of them exclaimed, "It's the BodyBugg from Biggest Loser!"

It may seem odd, but I have never watched The Biggest Loser.  So I had no idea what they were talking about.  They explained that it has a sensor that reads your body.  It tells you how many calories a day you burn so you can track your intake.  You eat less than you burn and you loose weight.

I dismissed the gadget at the time simply because of Weight Watchers.  Why would you need to spend the cash on such a thing when you can just count points? 

Then I had my 5th baby and turned 35 and gained and gained.  Regardless of my efforts I gained.  I went back to Weight Watchers for 12 weeks and fluctuated 2lbs.  Frustrated I decided to jump on the low carb band wagon.  I cut all sugar and lowered my carb intake to 20 grams a day.  I gained 7lbs!  Hello!  Wrong direction!!

In the back of my mind I remembered the BodyBugg.  I thought, "Maybe my metabolism has changed and I have no idea how many calories a day I actually burn."  I run and use my treadclimber, as well as lift weights.  I didn't think there was any way I was eating more than I burned.  I was wrong, really really wrong.

Dana M lent me her bugg for a week.  In that week I realized just how much I was over eating.  I decided to take the plunge and get my own bugg.  I actually purchased mine on Craigslist and for $45 (a ridiculous deal!  Used they typically run near $100) I was in business.  It bluetooths to my phone to a free app and I can record my intake anytime, anywhere.  I can also see how many calories I've burned.  If I'm really wanting a particular snack and I don't have the allowance for it, I do some activity until I've earned it.

It's removed the guessing game.  I no longer feel trapped into gaining all my weight back.  I also don't feel trapped by running.  If I can't work out today, no worries.  I'll just cut back my calories and I still lose.  I'm down 7lbs in 3 weeks and I have 10lbs to go to get back to my Weight Watcher's goal. 

Here are a couple of my favorite things to spend my calories on:
30 chips for 110 calories!  And they are delicious!

Taste just like Snickers ice cream bars!  But 140 cals!!

Yummy Chocolate!  80 cals plus fiber?  Yes please!

No comments: