Friday, October 21, 2011

As The Holidays Approach at Break Neck Speeds

Are you feeling it yet?

All of you fellow Not Naturally Narrow friends out there, are you feeling the pressure of the holiday binge?

I am!  Due to the most stressful summer of my life, I have put on some poundage.  I am currently 10-15lbs over my goal.  That's nothing too major compared to my once 263lb self, but it's a slippery slope.

Typically over the winter months I carry a little extra weight anyway and I'm having some anxiety starting out above what I'm comfortable with.

I am going to start blogging some helpful recipes.  For those of you who have been around a while they will seem familiar.  Today I'm posting the 5 can bean soup (with a side of beano).  This is a winter favorite of mine and it's super filling and healthy. 

My goal is to lose my 10lbs before the holidays smack me in the face with pumpkin pie. 

Ingredients:
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of ranch dressing mix
1 can rotel
1 can pinto beans
1 can red beans
1 can great white northern beans
1 can kidney beans
2 chicken breasts (optional)

Put all ingredients (dump entire can juice and all) in a small crockpot on low for 6/8 hours or high for 3/4 hours.  Once the chicken is tender shred it up.  You can trade out any bean you like.  I often put a can of black beans rinsed and drained vs the pinto beans. 

I love to eat this with low fat shredded cheese, fat free sour cream and salsa on top.  YUMM!!!

2 comments:

Twisted said...

It sounds great. I just printed it off. As long as I don't put "Poopie" beans(as hubby's family calls Garbanzos)in it, it should be a hit. Yes, with three boys I'll need the beano.
As I signed our name below, I realized how appropriate this meal is for the EatFartandBark.

JenHaggerty said...

I love love love this recipe!