Saturday, February 11, 2012

Never Say Never #2

If you and I have chatted much you know that I guard my sleep.  We have never been a "kids in the bed" kind of family.

Since I was young, I have always been extra cranky if I don't get 9+ hours.  Maybe it's my hypothyroidism or just a personality flaw, either way I need sleep or things just don't run smoothly.

We have had 5 children all of which moved into their rooms as soon as they slept through the night.  I let them cry it out sooner than most (and cried with them, I'm not impervious to their cuteness) and have insisted they sleep in their beds as toddlers or they were disciplined.

Last weekend we went to the men's retreat so I could cook and I took the kids with me.  The kids and I  plus Kelby, all slept on the women's side so as not to disturb the men.

All the boys picked a dorm room for themselves so Sis and I picked a smaller room just for us.  They had worship right below us so it was hard to get her to sleep much before 11.

I have an app on my phone that plays a fan sound and I sleep with my ear buds in every night (that's another blog entry all it's own).  I could easily drift off to sleep with the ear buds blocking out the noises but was nervous crashing out with Anneliese still awake.

So...I pulled her into bed with me and gave her an ear bud.  She laid next to me grinning and touching my face for about 30 minutes.  Then, as I've trained her, she said, "I need my bed momma."  She crawled up over my head and crawled into the bunk I had prepared for her.

I have to admit I was a little sad she didn't want to cuddle with me.

No comments: