Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fitting In

This working with other humans is tough.

I have had a couple uncomfortable issues with a couple different employees.  My gut reaction is to run for the comfort of home.

None of it is a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but at the same time it's so awkward.  I don't really feel as if I have an ally there yet.  I've tried to be friendly and chatty to which some have responded warmly, others walk away. 

Just pray God will grant a friendly face that I can bond to and get some insight about the dynamics between the employees.  I am a fish out of water. 

There is good news on the training front.  My boss called this am and is eager to get me trained all of a sudden due to a co-worker wanting to step away from a class she teaches.  I went last Tuesday down into the inner city and worked with a group of older adults and absolutely loved it.  The goal is to help them with flexibility and strength so they can be self-sufficient.  We had a precious older lady who was 90 years young doing leg lunges right along with the rest of us. 

I will be doing a very similar class in a different location on Mondays and Wednesday mornings.  It's a great opportunity for ministry.  It's a completely different environment than a fitness facility.  It's very communal and family oriented.  I just pray my group will be similar to the one I witnessed on Tuesday. 

If I'm going to take time away from my family I want to make sure that I'm spending it wisely and being of good use for God.  It's been more than a decade since I've been in this kind of work environment and it's a shock to the system.  All in all it's going to be a growing experience for me and a chance to make a difference outside of my little snow globe.

No comments: