Saturday, October 2, 2010

Reality

-I didn't go in for the MRI.  First of all it was going to cost us a lot of money.  We have junky insurance and it wouldn't cover it due to not having met our huge deductible.  The Ortho doc was pretty confident I was dealing with a calcaneal stress fracture but wanted to know for sure just in case I thought I was still going to run in October.  Jared and I talked about it a lot and decided the run wasn't worth the financial strain a MRI would put on the family.  My plan is to do as the doc said and just stay under the symptoms.  I'll gradually work back into running as it continues to heal. 

I've done lots of research online and running in the grass and cycling are great ways not to lose my endurance and cardio health I've worked so hard for.  My plan is to start riding my bike over to WyCo park and run in the grass and then ride home.  If it starts hurting I'll just stick to cycling for a while longer.  For now I would like to plan towards the November Turkey Marathon in Overland Park.  It's all dependent on how it feels/heals.

-I went into the Y yesterday.  I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.  Apparently the director misspoke about the health insurance.  They did offer it at the beginning of the year for part time employees but they don't anymore.  She explained to me that it was still really pricey and it was auto deducted from employees checks.  If the employee didn't make enough that month to cover the deductible they ended up owing the Y.  She said there was lots of issues so they dropped it.  Obviously the supervisors are both full time and weren't affected by this change.  They just can't understand how big of a deal this was to us.  It was one of the main reasons I started down this path to begin with.

No comments: