Thursday, October 2, 2008

Phil 4:13

I'm going to go out on a limb here at say that Phil 4:13 is a verse that is misused more than any other verse in the bible, it's at least in the top 10.

Phil 4:13 says:
"13I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

This scripture is often used when an individual is working towards anything from winning a race, scoring well on a test, or vying for a raise or promotion. If you read the actual context of this verse Paul is talking about contentment. Read the context:

"10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength. "

As a woman contentment is a difficult state of mind to achieve. I have been praying this scripture daily as I work towards a life that is sold out to God's will. I know that with His strength I can be content in all things. We are blessed, God is good.

No comments: