Thursday, January 13, 2011

Daddy's Girl

My heart has been through a whirl wind of emotion this week.  Tonight Wendy and Danny will be staying with us due to her Dad's funeral being tomorrow.  I'm thankful for the time I've had with my Georgia friend, yet terribly sad for the circumstances.

One evening, Wendy called and told me of the precious moments she was able to share with her Dad as he faded.  She held his hand for hours and in those moments he was her "Daddy" again.

I get that.

Even though I never lived with my Father, he was always my Daddy.  I cherished him, revered him, even idolized him at times.  I love him with a love that no amount of absence can diminish.

I've been thinking a lot about our earthly Fathers and who they are meant to be to us.  They are meant to show us a glimpse of our heavenly Father's love for us.  In the bible He is called Abba, which translated means Daddy.

In the 29 years I had before my Daddy passed I always longed for him.  Desired to be with him, to be close, to be his.

During class last week we discussed a similar draw to God.  Ever since I was a little girl I heard Him.  I was desperate to be in the church, to be with His people.  As a teenager I was drawn to Jared because I saw how much his family loved Him.  I was a mess of a child.  I had a rebellious heart, and even when they tried to show me truth I wanted to run, but I didn't.

I was being wooed to a Father who knew my name.  He knows how many hairs are on my head.

Luke 12
6“What is the price of five sparrows—two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. 7And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.

After my Dad's passing I struggled to understand the "why" of it all.  Why I didn't have more time, why couldn't I talk to him, why did this have to happen, why couldn't I have known him more, and on and on.  The song He Knows My Name came to mean so much more to me.

I have a Father, and he knows my name.  He sees every tear that falls, and hears me when I call.

What a precious reminder of who our Heavenly Father is and who we are to Him.

I am so blessed to have a husband who cherishes his role as Daddy.  In Anneliese's life I have been given a chance to watch on as a man, who is dedicated to Christ, loves his daughter as God loves me.

When I watch her precious face light up at the sight of her Daddy, I am reminded of my Abba.

We girls are meant to be Daddy's girl.

3 comments:

Cindy Coker said...

Thanks for this reminder. My father was gone for most of my life. He was around for his final 2 years and that helped me so much. He was not always the father I wanted him to be, but I was always his princess. I will be in prayer for Wendy and her family.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Shannon, that touches me so! You just preached a beautiful sermon. I love you so much!

Mom Nita

Twisted said...

We are definitely Daddy's girls. I loved crawling up into my daddy's lap. Even now I can mentally curl up in our Heavenly Father's lap. It is so nice to be held and loved. Makes me want to leave this old world behind and curl up in His lap for good. Awesome post, Shannon.