Friday, January 7, 2011

Hey Keepin It Under Controllers!

It's the first of the year and there will be a lot of people who join the gym, get new sneakers, and attend for a month or less. 

I've been really thinking about this battle of weight/health a lot lately.  In preparing for the retreat, God has been taking inventory in my own life. 

While talking with a friend I mentioned that I have the desire to drop 10lbs.  There are times when I think, UGH just 10lbs and then I'd be so much more content with myself!  She challenged me. 

She said, "Do you need to lose it for health reasons?"  Um, no...  "Then why, vanity? Competition?" 

Well, I guess if I were to be completely honest with myself, both.  Yikes!

I strongly believe that these bodies that we have are not our own.  They belong to our Creator and are simply on loan.  They, our bodies, and anything else we possess are to be used for HIS glory.  Our desire for health and fitness should be based in stewardship and nothing else. 

If your friend lent you his Bentley how would you treat it?  Would you fill it with trash?  Refuse to wash it?  Be careless and even destructive while it was in your care?  If you answer "yes" shame, Most of us wouldn't conceive of giving it anything but the royal treatment. 

How much more value does a person have than a luxury vehicle?  Whether you believe you personally have value or not doesn't really matter.  Your Creator cherishes you and you are more valuable than rubies in His eyes. 

Romans 5:8 (New Living Translation)

8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. 

My challenge to you is this, take care of this body.  It is not yours, it's simply on loan.  The owner will return soon and will want to know how you cared for His prized possession.  

1 Corinthians 10:31 (New Living Translation)

 31 So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

No comments: