Friday, December 3, 2010

I'm Still Here Kickin!

I just realized I hadn't posted since the end of November.  That's terrible!  I really try to post every other day and I've been just too busy to mess with sitting down.  It's highly overrated.

First of all I pray your Thanksgiving was thankful.  I heard a joke on the radio Turkey Day that went like this,"Today I get to spend the entire day with people I hate, thanks a lot Pilgrims and Indians."  I couldn't help but giggle.  I hope that is the opposite of what you experienced!  We had our first smoked Thanksgiving turkey and it was AWESOME!  The best part about a smoked turkey is that left overs can be slathered in BBQ sauce and it makes it even better and tastes nothing like Thanksgiving :)  I set it to brine for two days and then smoked it for 6 hours.  It was the juiciest, tastiest turkey I've EVER eaten.  There were several comments from the fam and they agreed. 

Tomorrow we have our family gathering with the Altics.  It may seem late, since it's December, but better late than never!  I made a ton of bread yesterday for the event.  In the morning Dustin, Jessica and I will descend upon the Piper Craft fair singing our carols and then Dustin and I will head to Platte City to join the family around 1.

Today I started my first wedding cake.  I have half of the layers baked and am about to start the other half.  Yesterday I made dozens of adorable little white and dark chocolate swirled seashells.  The bride wants a beach theme, hence the shells.  I'll post pics as it starts to go together.  Jared and I will be delivering the cake to Arkansas Sunday afternoon and then heading back Sunday late.  We tossed around the idea of staying the night but I have work Monday.  It's okay though.  Mom is staying with the kids so we'll have 8 hours of uninterrupted conversation.  Not to mention, being forced to sit for a while would do me good.  It will be a blessing!

We're just about done with our Christmas shopping for the kids.  It's getting harder and harder to do their Christmas for the budget we set.  We typically have 3 gifts per child.  No reason for the number really, it's just how it's worked out.  This year they each have one big gift that zapped the bulk of their budget.  It's such a blessing to see how grateful they are each year.  They are a blessing and we are so very fortunate!

I pray you are all doing well.  I will try to check in again with pics of the cake.  The kids and I ate the rounded tops I shaved off the layers and it's delicious.  I was a little nervous since this is my first marbled cake, but it's SO good!  Relief!

No comments: