Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day One

Yesterday went just fine. I actually did really well with my eating and that alone makes me feel better, more in control I guess.

Chris and I walked just shy of 5 miles first thing in the morning. Then Amy and I headed off to Deanna Rose Farms and walked around for another 2 1/2 hours letting the kids play. We all had the best time.

Last night I had to work Weight Watcher's and Jared did school with the boys. I'm not sure but I think that is the first time he's done school with the kids and he did fine. I work again tonight and then I'm back to my normal schedule of just Monday's. I'm definitely ready for that.

I spent quite a bit of time on the computer looking up new recipes yesterday for core and found a DELICIOUS one. You have got to try this. If you're a fan of black beans or Mexican food you will LOVE this.

Spicy Black Bean Soup
soups
Core Recipe
Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

The key to thickening this soup without flour? Pureeing some of the beans before cooking it. You'll love the stick-to-your-ribs texture that results.

Ingredients
1 sprays cooking spray
1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel Tomatoes
11 oz canned yellow corn, drained
Instructions
Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.

Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.

Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.

ENJOY!

It makes quite a bit and I'm really the only one that will eat it so I plan to be having this for lunch over the next couple of days. Top it with fat free cheddar cheese and fat free sour cream and you got a delicious filling meal.

No comments: