Friday, July 30, 2010

CPR For Dummies

This morning I headed out at 8 for my FA/CPR/AED certification.  I was shocked at how easy it was.  You need to remember that the last time I went through such a class it was a good 14 years ago in college.

I couldn't believe how dumbed down simplified it was.  We watched a video for 4 hours with a couple hands on practice sessions and I walked out certified.

Years ago we had computerized dummies that printed out a pass or fail.  There were closed book tests, and 6-7 hours of class just for CPR.

The instructor mentioned that they have made CPR and FA (first aid) teachable at a 2nd grade level.  I was shocked!  They are now teaching how to use an AED in 7 year old's class rooms.

I understand on one level.  The easier it is to understand the more likely an individual is to use the information and possibly save lives.

On the other hand, what does it say as a society that in order to comprehend the information enough to reach out & save life, we have to be taught (as adults) on a second grade level?

No comments: