Friday, December 11, 2009

More of Him Less Of Me

It has been my goal for quite some time to spend more time in the Word. Jared reminds me regularly that life wouldn't seem quite so overwhelming if I would dwell on God's promises.

Hebrews 13:5 (NIV)
5Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you"

Jer 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I have a partner that has agreed to keep me accountable and it is working. At first I was just really convicted that I needed daily time reading something, anything in scripture. I struggled for a couple weeks with severe conviction but I couldn't move to action.

As you can imagine life is very busy and sometimes hectic with 5 children and all that comes with it. I would go 2 days and not stop and spend just a few moments reading. After talking to my accountability partner she asked if I did anything during my day that was just for me. Well, of course I do. I enjoy Facebook and catching up with friends and family, I love to play Scrabble on my phone and I love to snuggle into my bed and catch a few minutes of a show now and then. I do have the time I just choose to spend it otherwise.

So she challenged me. Her challenge was to read at least a couple chapters of scripture before I got online. Since I typically check my email and Facebook first thing this has been a great idea! Now before I do anything I am spending some time dwelling on HIS promises!

I want the Word to be a daily part of my life for lots of reasons. I want to be an example to my children that He is my priority. I don't want the stress of this life to take my joy and reading about God's provision and His unconditional love for me and my family grants peace!

I am so thankful to my sweet friend who has had the courage to challenge me and I'm taking it a step further by putting out there so you too can be challenged and we can encourage each other to make our God our Lord.

No comments: