Friday, December 25, 2009

Scoot Down Low

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will." -Romans 12:1&2

I have been praying for a special verse. A verse that would be a reminder of why I do what I do and why I am who I am. I prayed for a very specific verse to be an encouragement when ministry is hard and home schooling is tiresome. I wanted God's reassurance that I was in His will for when the days are a little too much for me. Romans 12:1&2 is my Christmas gift from Christ himself. While reading and rereading my new scripture I found this devotion on the opposite page of my Devotional bible.

Merry Christmas, Emmanuel God with Us

Scoot Down Low
Read Romans 12:1-21
"Humble" comes from the word HUMUS, meaning "earth" or "brought down low." Yes, the Creator of the universe who flung the stars into space is also a very down-to-earth God. Why was Jesus "brought down low"-why did he come down to earth in our form?

I was pondering that thought one day as I was busy in the kitchen, my "hive of five" grandkids buzzing around the living room. I put dinner on the table and gave the "y'all come" signal. My grown children and their children began to make their way toward the feast and the smells of my home-cooked turnip greens, buttered carrots, okra gumbo, mashed potatoes, brisket, baked chicken and corn bread (with ice cream waiting in the freezer to top it all off a little later)!

But two of my darlin's were too busy playing to answer the call. "Alyssa, Alaya!" I called again. Still they paid no attention. So I did the only thing I could do. I went over to where they were engrossed in their baby dolls and scooted down on my achy knees to look them in the eyes.

Now I had their full attention. "Girls," I said with loving firmness, "did you not hear me calling you?"
They shook their heads no, their dark braids flying, their brown eyes wide with surprise.


"Well sweet things, now that I have your attention, help your old Grammy up and let's go eat." Together the girls tugged on my arms and off we went toward the banquet.

As I walked with them, I thought about having to go to all that trouble , to physically scoot down low to get the attention of my granddaughters. It was then I realized that this is exactly what Jesus did for me.

God had a wonderful feast prepared for us in heaven and he called his people to come and eat and enjoy! But most often, caught up in their own little dramas, they ignored his call. So, in the form of his Son, Jesus "scooted down low" and became on of us. Why? To get our attention, to meet us eye to eye-to take us by the hand and lead us to the feast.
-Carol Kent, Thelmas Wells

2 comments:

Jane Deskis said...

Great verse and devotion. I keep this one by the computer to help me remember why we homeschool when the going gets tough.
2 Tim. 2:10. Therefore I endure all things for the elect's (my boys) sake,that they may also obtain the salvation which is in christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Merry Christmas. Jane

Unknown said...

I really like that! I will add it to my encouragement list! Thank you Jane.