Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oceans Of Mercy 5K

Ms. Jess and I headed out early this morning. This is us fresh out of bed :)
Photobucket
I didn't sleep well last night in anticipation of the race. It's probably goofy to most but this was the first time I've ever done a race. I didn't really know what to expect and I was excited.

We were running down in Shawnee where Jared's cousins live and I hoped to see them. It was funny because as we started off I mentioned to Jess, "we are going to run right past their houses." As we rounded the corner there was Brandi up on her deck and Dan right on the street. I waved and yelled like a goofball but hey, who cares :) Later in the run I saw Abby and her older two on the corner. I guessed it was them by Jameson's K-State jacket :) Seeing family was an added bonus to a super cool morning.

The atmosphere was hyped. Everyone was cold yet excited. This caught my eye
Photobucket
There was a breakfast table waiting for us as we finished. Can I just say there is NO way I would eat a Krispy Kreme just as I finished running any amount of distance. Are you kidding?! ONE Krispy Kreme has the same amount of calories that I burned in my run. There's no way that's worth it.

We ran into several people. Tom and Vicki M, Zach and Maeve B., and then the extended Clark (Anita's fam) family.

The path was pretty even and I really enjoyed running with a crowd. As we were leaving I asked Jess, "Did you think a year ago you would ever be doing this?!" And she replied, "No! A year ago I was holding your baby because you had just broken your foot." WOW, what a difference a year makes. Jess and I were both thrilled to finish!
Photobucket
We have plans for several runs this summer and I'm eager to try longer runs. It feels good to be fit!

No comments: