Saturday, May 22, 2010

Smoker Step One, Sanding...and sanding...and sanding

I started on the smoker yesterday. I have made an amazing discovery! There is metal under there!!! After doing a lot of research and talking with a few buddies I've decided to brush on a primer before I paint it. It seems that even the high temp spray paint doesn't help whole lot unless you brush a metal primer into all those little grooves and pits.

I have removed all the loose and flaking rust/metal and it is now soaking in a bath of Orange grease cleaner. Once it's all clean I'll have to run to the store for some stop rust primer. I've decided after all this hard work I will store the smoker in my garage when it's not in use. I'd like to keep it out of the weather and looking pretty :)

Check back in for a primer update! I know you're on the edge of your seat.

***Apparently the paint I bought for the grill does NOT "recommend" the use of a primer. Hmmm skip a step? Don't mind if I do.***

No comments: