Monday, January 25, 2010

Until We Meet Again

I'm so thankful to be home and settled. Jared did an exceptional job of keeping the house up while I was gone. Other than some laundry there's not too much to be done around the house. Thank you so much Jared!!

Due to Jared's job/calling going to a funeral at a different church is always a little weird to me. I don't attend other churches hardly ever and rarely hear other ministers speak.

Southern Oklahoma is a little bit of a culture shock compared to Kansas City. The Southern drawl is thick and the hair is high.

Grandpa's funeral was beautiful and was attended by the population of Duncan. He was a very loved and admired man.

There was gospel singing and even a little hand clapping during a rendition of Grandpa's favorite song sang by a woman's harmony group. They were all dressed in red and black since Grandpa Red's favorite color was red.

Randy, the Pastor, did a good job and made the funeral sermon about our family and the reassurance of Grandpa's faith. As a believer I have great hope of being reunited with him again and Randy continually reminded us of that. It takes the sting of death away.

At the graveside is always the most difficult part in my opinion. Saying goodbye for the last time this side of glory has a physical as well as emotional pain. My chest hurt and I couldn't breathe at the idea of leaving him there. It was a very windy, wet and cold morning and even thought I know in my mind he is not there my emotional, irrational side didn't want to leave him because he would be so cold.

We went to the funeral dinner at the church. Again this was a little odd for me. I'm usually the one helping with the meal not one of the attendees. The food was very southern with fried chicken, "funeral potatoes" cheesy potato casserole, fried okra, coleslaw, and banana pudding.

Jess and I headed home after the meal. I was so worn out and desperate for my husband and my babies.

I can't even begin to express enough love and thankfulness to Jess for going with me. She is shy and tends to stay close to home. To volunteer to go 7 hours away into a mourning family that she does not know had to be very uncomfortable for her but she didn't even hesitate. I told her I wanted Jared to stay and I was scared to go by myself and she replied, "When do we leave." I can only pray that God would create in me that kind of selfless love for my friends.

John 15:13 (New International Version)

13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Thank you to all of you for your prayers, cards, and love during this time. I would greatly appreciate your continued prayers for my Mom as she comes home and settles in. I know the next few months will be the most difficult.

No comments: